It’s been a chili fest at The Schell Cafe this week. As they say, it was good while it lasted. The cooler temperatures we enjoyed last weekend have returned to a warm, sticky, October mess and any craving for spicy chili will have to wait until next month. But, what should I do with the remaining half can of chipotle peppers left over from my Bestest Darndest Chili and Chipotle Chicken Chili recipes?
But, first a little reminder. . .
Chipotle peppers are smoked jalapeño peppers. I keep a steady supply of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the pantry because I love the smokey flavor and distinct spice they add to soup, chili, and other southwestern dishes. Most recipes call for 2-4 chipotle peppers so I always end up with more than half a can left. Which is exactly what happened after this week’s chilipalooza.
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place each leftover pepper on the paper. Add a generous spoonful of adobo sauce to cover each pepper.
- Put baking sheet with peppers in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour, until peppers and sauce are frozen.
- Remove each frozen chipotle pepper and sauce from baking sheet. Gently wrap each pepper in torn pieces of the parchment paper.
- Store parchment wrapped peppers in a zip lock freezer bag until ready to use.
What’s your favorite recipe that calls for chipotle peppers?