There is something about this soup that is just downright cozy. It’s such a humble soup, with only a handful of ingredients. And, I bet you have most of these simple ingredients on hand.
The smooth, creamy soup tastes just like a loaded baked potato, and the Littles love picking their favorite toppings. I love that a warm and hearty soup is waiting in the Crock Pot at the end of a long day. You can’t beat a dinner that practically cooks itself. How easy is that?
- 4 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced ¼ - inch thick (about 8-10 Russet)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (32 oz) chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups half-and-half
- Toppings of your choice: freshly grated cheese, crumbled bacon, chopped green onions, jalapeños.
- Layer sliced potatoes in a 6 quart slow cooker. Add the chopped onions. Pour the broth over the potatoes and onions. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- When potatoes are tender, mash mixture with a potato masher.
- Stir in half-and-half. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20 more minutes, or until mixture is thoroughly heated.
What is your favorite easy, but satisfying dinner right now? If you blog, share a link to your recipe. If not, tell us in the comments. I know we could all use a little inspiration for supper.
Speaking of supper. . . don’t forget 52 Sunday Suppers begins this Sunday. One year of weekly recipes and inspiration to encourage a revival of the Sunday supper. Make sure you are subscribed to receive the blog posts delivered free to your email. Just enter your email in the Come to the Table box on the right and you’ll be good to go!