Our oldest daughter’s nickname is Anna Banana, but these lemon bars are all hers. While Anna Lemon clearly doesn’t have the same ring to it, she gets all the credit for these delicious lemony squares. Honestly, this was the first time I’ve actually made these lemon shortbread bars myself. I missed her in the kitchen when I was squeezing lemons and dusting powdered sugar, but consoled myself with the fact that I got to choose the cooking tunes.
The Littles don’t seem so little anymore. The older three are all double digits and definitely have a distinct taste in music. When the girls cook they tend to dance and stir to Taylor Swift or One Direction. I like both of these tween fan phenomena, but I left Taylor and Liam on Anna’s iTouch (although I did have to borrow it for the recipe!) and cranked up my own playlist du jour. This week’s fave happens to be Mindy Smith.
It’s no wonder I love listening to music while I cook. Songs are stories with melodies. An invitation into the heart and soul. A rhythmic conversation passing along life’s parables.
I made a little playlist for y’all. Just click the Spotify button below and enjoy Mindy’s latest album for free.
I have to admit I got a little carried away with my cooking music this week. The music was so loud I’m sure Susie could hear it at her house. Luckily, I happen to know she loves Mindy’s music, too. Speaking of Susie, I’m convinced she can do just about anything with pie crust. This week’s Shrimp Pot Pie is proof in the pudding. Minus the pudding.
Turn up the music! Sing a story. Dance a little while you stir & sauté. Most of all I hope you enjoy making and sharing this week’s 52 Sunday Suppers menu for those you love.
From our home to yours, friends! Happy Sunday.
Week Six Menu
Anna’s Lemon Shortbread Bars
- For the shortbread:
- 2 sticks of butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon Mexican vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- For the lemony topping:
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch pan.
- In a standing mixer, cream the butter on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Lower the speed and slowly add the flour. Mix until dough is formed.
- Press dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown and baked through.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs lightly. Whisk in the sugar, followed by the lemon juice and zest. Do not over mix. Just whisk until incorporated.
- When the dough is baked, remove from oven and pour the lemon mixture on top. Return to the oven and continue to bake for an additional 25 minutes, or until the top is set.
- Cool completely. Cut into 2-inch bars. Dust with powdered sugar. Makes 2 dozen 2-inch bars.